Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Folded Laundry on Top of my Book


Oh yes, it has been quite the hiatus. It’s been so long, that I even had time to stop feeling guilty about it. It’s part of the process isn’t it? The book sits upon my dresser, half marked up with first edits and with folded laundry on top of it. Come on, at least it’s CLEAN laundry.

Sometimes I crack it open to look at it and I realize that it is what it is, and it’s where it's meant to be at the time…unfinished. However, I do feel myself being drawn into the story once again. My characters are sitting there suspended in time, wondering if I am ever going to fix awkward scenes and hoping for better outcomes. In my head Kate sits there smoking a cigarette, begging me to cut out all of the scenes where she makes a fool out of herself with men. Fat chance.

Well, maybe I will get the urge to sit down and read through it again this weekend. Where will I put the laundry?

12 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

I find the best solution for laundry is just to leave it in the dryer till you need to wear it.

Good luck with the manuscript.

Scott said...

Woo-hoo, welcome back. You've defnitely been missed. How's Miles doing? Still completely adorable??

S

Unknown said...

Hey--you're right! At least it's clean laundry! Better than I could do!!!

Mariah Irvin said...

My clean laundry is currently piled on top of my bed. Sleeping has become difficult.

Get working on that MS!

Unknown said...

Why is it that clean laundry never makes it INTO the dresser? Mine usually sits in baskets next to it. All folded and pretty, but to put it in the dresser would take way too much time.

I totally think the MS issue is just a writer thing. Word of advice....pick up the Donald Maass "Writing the Breakout Novel" work book....you'll get right back into that story and love the editing.

Traci said...

Corey - LOL! I hate wrinkles and I don't iron. :-)

Scott - Thank you! :-) He is getting SO big! How is your bunch?

Beth - LOL! I am good if I get any of it done.

Mariah - LOL!! I'm trying to get back to it! :-)

Marybeth - So hard to put in the drawer isn't it? LOL I've been wanting to read that book actually...I'll have to go to the bookstore this weekend.

Martin Willoughby said...

Put it in the drawer, or hide it under the bed.

Alternatively, do what my kids do and leave it scattered on the floor and then complain when they can't find anything to wear.

Scott said...

My bunch is as crazy as ever. I'm trying to teach Jesse that it's okay to 'sleep in' on Saturday and Sunday mornings. He doesn't need to go for a walk at 6:30 AM on the weekends. Yeah, like I'll ever teach him that trick.

S

Traci said...

Martin- LOL!! Kids are good that way aren't they?

Scott- SO FUNNY! Miles let's me sleep until 8:00. Past that...he whines! LOL I suppose we just have to embrace it! LOL

Unknown said...

I so so totally know the feeling, because, yes, I have one too...just as unfinished. Well, maybe one of these days...

lunardancer said...

I think that you have more than the laundry to think about...Looks like your little kitty has made a comfortable bed of your manuscript. I am pretty sure that it would turn out wonderful once you finish it. Good Luck!

Nishant said...

..you'll get right back into that story and love the editing.

Work from home India